Tax Help

Tax help is a free service offered to low income (up to $50,000 pa) by the Australian Tax Office through a team of ATO trained volunteers. It provides tax advice and online lodgement of personal tax returns for most individual taxpayers (certain eligibility criteria apply). It is free and confidential and available from 1 July to 31 October each year. The service uses E-Tax – i.e. the lodgement of returns is done electronically to the ATO and refunds are generally processed within 7 to 14 days as compared with 8 weeks if they are submitted as a hard copy return. The service we provide at The Centre can continue throughout the year for certain matters.This year we have encouraged clients to use the abbreviated online tax lodgement service which is accessed through the MyGov portal and then to the ATO site.

To make an appointment for the Tax Help Service, call us on (03) 5975 1644. Before booking please ensure you have your Payment Summary in your possession.


Tax Help is available for Low Income earners only and the threshold is $50,000 or less. If any of the following apply to you, you are not eligible for this program and will need to see a Tax Accountant.

  • You rented out a house.
  • You ran your own business.
  • You earn income under a Voluntary Agreement (contract work).
  • You received and royalties.
  • You earned an income under a Labour Hire Agreement.
  • You received income from a Public Trust.
  • You made a Capital Gain or Loss from selling shares or other assets.
  • You receive a foreign income other than a foreign pension or annuity.

Essential Documents

If you are eligible for Tax Help and make an appointment, please bring the following to your appointment

  • Your PAYG Payment Summary (what used to be called a Group Certificate).
  • Your Tax File Number.
  • A copy of last year’s (or within the last 5 years) Assessment Notice. We must have this to enable us to lodge electronically.
  • All relevant statements from Centrelink.
  • All bank books and bank statements from pension or super funds.
  • E.T.P. Summary (if you left a job during the year).
  • Private Health Insurance details incl. year-end letter from your fund.
  • Foreign pension details and amounts (from bank statement)
  • Details of your spouse’s income.
  • Dividend remittance advice – 2 for each block of shares.


This year we continued to provide 3 Tax Help volunteers and by the end of the lodgement period; which continues to 31 October, we expect to have assisted about 140 clients complete their tax returns; the majority of whom receive a refund from the ATO.